There are certain out of pocket costs that Original Medicare doesn’t cover. Colorado Plan G is a Medicare Supplement Plan designed to offer broader health care coverage.
Plan G is like Supplemental Plan F, except it doesn’t cover the Medicare Part B deductible. With Plan G, your Medicare Part B deductible is an out of pocket expense. Some of the benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan G include:
- Coverage for the Medicare Part A deductible
- Coverage for Medicare Part A hospital or hospice coinsurance or copayments
- Coverage for Medicare Part A hospital costs and coinsurance for up to one year after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Coverage for foreign travel emergencies up to 80 percent of a plan’s limit
- Coverage for the first three pints of blood during a medical procedure
- Coverage for out of pocket expenses associated with Medicare Part B excess charges
- Coverage for charges for Medicare Part B coinsurance and copayments
In short, Medicare Supplement Plan G is designed to help recipients with out of pocket costs associated with Original Medicare.
Medicare Part B Excess Charges for Colorado Beneficiaries
Medicare Supplement Plan G also includes coverage for Medicare Part B excess charges. Excess charges are created when there is a difference between what Original Medicare will pay and what your provider charges for a particular service. Typically, Medicare has agreed upon rates with providers. This is known as the Medicare fee schedule. However, if you seek treatment or health services with a physician who doesn’t accept a Medicare assignment, you may incur Medicare excess charges.
For example, suppose you visit a doctor who doesn’t accept the Medicare assignment. The doctor charges $150 for your office visit plus an additional 15 percent excess fee. Medicare pays only $100 for an office visit. You will then be billed a Medicare excess charge of $50.00 plus the additional 15 percent fee. So, a Medicare recipient may be responsible for an additional $72.50 in out of pocket expenses.
However, a Plan G covers out of pocket expenses and excess fees. So, with a Medicare Supplement Plan G, the recipient has no out of pocket expenses when visiting a doctor without a Medicare assignment.
Medicare Supplemental Plan G Availability in Colorado
Medicare Supplemental Plan G offers the same lineup of benefits regardless of the Colorado health insurance provider who administers the plan. However, plan costs and availability can vary from carrier to carrier.
Get your Free Quote on Medicare Supplement Plan G in your Local area and review multiple carriers in your local area.